Saturday, February 23, 2013

Vatican Rescue



At lunch the other day, one of my colleagues – a Psychology professor! – was saying that he finds the reality show  “Bar Rescue” irresistible- to the amazement of his wife.  This is a show where they take a really badly run, and run-down bar, and completely fix it up.
I thought to myself: in the light of an article I read yesterday in the Washington Post, it sounds like the Vatican could use something like that.  Just a week ago, Pope Benedict announced that he is resigning at the end of February, that basically he doesn’t have the health or stamina to do the job anymore.  I thought at the time that it might be his way of forcing the College of Cardinals to vote in a new pope now, instead of having him ( Benedict) stay on, getting less and less able, and having some Vatican cleric running the Church behind the scenes.  I think it’s a clear message from the Holy Spirit -  time to clean house, Vatican!  I don’t mean the Pope – I mean some of those unspiritual behind the scenes politicos and schemers in the Curia.  The Post article said that both John Paul II and Benedict were poor managers -  hey, that’s not really the Pope’s job!  But that they entrusted the management  of , for example, the finances, to clerics not nearly scrupulous and detached enough to prevent corruption .   I would tend to believe that.  I wish the college of cardinals would get together and fire everybody in the curia and replace them with more of the pure of heart.  That’s an idealist’s dream, I know.  But this is my church, and it does sicken me to think that the Pope would be undermined by the very people he entrusted to manage things for him.

No comments: