Tuesday, April 23, 2013

In these gorgeous days of April

the most delightful April weather I remember in many years,

This came today:


The Real One, with MY name on it.

I knew it was coming, but I confess it gave me pause.

All I could think of was poetry -- lines from poetry like these from Andrew Marvell:

But at my back I always hear
Time's winged chariot hurrying near.

Not to indulge in too much melodrama... but it did take me aback.  I never minded turning 40, or 50, or 60, but this milestone gives me pause.
Now my gift for both yesterday and today, and, hopefully, a few more days, is that a Red-headed Woodpecker is coming to my bedroom window to munch on the suet and the fruit and nut block. He is very skittish, but I have been able to see his wondrous red head.  It's a totally different red than that of the Cardinal, or the head of the Red-bellied Woodpecker.  It's a deep crimson.  This photo doesn't do it justice, though it's from the Cornell Lab, and is better than anything I could take:
 


No comments: