First day of 2014...
To my students, 65 is really old. I'm as old as, or older than their grandparents. To my sisters, 65 is not old at all. I'm the youngest member of my local community. So I guess age is somewhat relative.
However, I am more aware now that I have more of my life behind me than ahead of me.
On Facebook recently, there was a post from a site called "Buzz Feed" titled "Thirty-seven things you will regret when you're old." I found this list amazing - most items are true, but two , to my mind, just don't match the importance of the rest: #5, #24 and 27.
Here is the list:
Thirty-seven things you will regret when you are old ( from Buzz Feed)
1. Not traveling when you had the chance.
2. Not learning another language.
3. Staying in a bad relationship.
4. Forgoing sunscreen.
5. Missing the chance to see your favorite musicians.
6. Being scared to do things.
7. Failing to make physical fitness a priority.
8. Letting yourself be defined by gender roles.
9. Not quitting a terrible job.
10. Not trying harder in school.
11. Not realizing how beautiful you were.
12. Being afraid to say “I love you.”
13. Not listening to your parents’ advice.
14. Spending your youth self-absorbed.
15. Caring too much about what other people think.
16. Supporting others’ dreams over your own.
17. Not moving on fast enough.
18. Holding grudges, especially with those you love.
19. Not standing up for yourself.
20. Not volunteering enough.
21. Neglecting your teeth.
22. Missing the chance to ask your grandparents questions before they die.
23. Working too much.
24. Not learning how to cook one awesome meal.
25. Not stopping enough to appreciate the moment.
26. Failing to finish what you start.
27. Never mastering one awesome party trick.
28. Letting yourself be defined by cultural expectations.
29. Refusing to let friendships run their course.
30. Not playing with your kids enough.
31. Never taking a big risk (especially in love).
32. Not taking the time to develop contacts and network.
33. Worrying too much.
34. Getting caught up in needless drama.
35. Not spending enough time with loved ones.
36. Never performing in front of others.
37. Not being grateful sooner.