Thursday, February 13, 2014

This time, I am serious.


I have posted a number of photos from this view.  Today we are in the midst of the fourth? fifth? "snow event" of this winter.  The National Weather Service has begun naming the winter storms, and this one is  Pax.  They are calling for 12-18 inches of snow in this area, and I think they are right.
The snow began about 8PM last night, and is still coming at 9:30AM.  It seems that everything in our area is closed. The blizzard force winds have not yet come, but they are predicted.

I wrote a poem about a similar storm that occurred here in mid February of 1979. It seems appropriate to reprint it here :


Blizzard

The deaf snow speaks
in sign
like a prophet.
His fingers remark the landscape
swiftly, stolidly.
They say
This time I am serious.
He cups his thick hand
on the birdsnest,
levels the driveways,
leans on the trees,
pulls the sky down
to the earth - nebulae swirl
by the second story windows.
This time I am serious.
This time
you will hear me.



1 comment:

eileeninmd said...

Great poem, Anne! This storm is speaking loudly! Stay warm and safe!