Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Window Strike

I found a dead bird on the sidewalk outside of Peebles Department Store in Gettysburg today.


not just any dead bird... a Chestnut-sided Warbler, in breeding plumage.

I brought him home and buried him in my garden, but not before photographing him as he lay in state on my bedspread:


any dead bird is sad; any dead bird killed by flying into a plate glass window is more sad; a bird as rare to see as a Chestnut Sided Warbler is the most sad of all.

I had just read an article in the Washington Post Magazine from March 16, 2014 called "Dead Bird Society" about people in DC who recover birds who have died this way.  The article said that 500 million to 1 billion birds are killed annually nationwide because of collisions with buildings, communication towers and power lines.

To hold that beautiful creature in my hand - and he just fit in the palm of my hand -  hurt my heart and soul.  

2 comments:

Carolyn H said...

Such a shame.

Amalee Issa said...

Anne,

Most interesting post. Over this spring I've heard birds thumping into my window panes on several occasions. Interestingly they tend to leave a spread-winged "impact shadow" on the panes, but luckily not their body on the lawns beneath. Perhaps I should stop cleaning my windows...

Amalee