Thursday, May 8, 2014

Woodman, Spare that Tree!



"Woodman! Spare That Tree!" (1837)
A Ballad

The words were taken from a poem published in the New York Mirror,
written by George Pope Morris, 1802-1864,
The music was composed by Henry Russell, 1812-1900.

1.
Woodman spare that tree!
Touch not a single bough;
In youth it sheltered me,
And I'll protect it now;
'Twas my fore father's hand
That placed it near the cot,
There, woodman, let it stand,
Thy axe shall harm it not!


2.
That old familiar tree,
Whose glory and renown
Are spread o'er land and sea,
And wouldst thou hack it down?
Woodman, forbear thy stroke!
Cut not its earth, bound ties;
Oh! spare that ag-ed oak
Now towering to the skies!

3.
When but a idle boy
I sought its grateful shade;
In all their gushing joy
Here, too, my sisters played.
My mother kiss'd me here;
My father press'd my hand--
Forgive this foolish tear,
But let that old oak stand!

4.
My heart-strings round thee cling,
Close as thy bark, old friend!
Here shall the wild-bird sing,
And still thy branches bend.
Old tree! the storm still brave!
And, woodman, leave the spot;
While I've a hand to save,
Thy axe shall harm it not.




The tree in the top photo is still standing -  I don't know if an execution order has been issued for it.

I came home from school today and viewed the destruction in the second photo.  Actually, there were two trees that size which, apparently, in the interest of the construction in process, had to go.  Those two trees had been flourishing there for at least forty years.

I know that there are so many worse situations for humanity and nature all over the world, so I shouldn't make such a big deal out of this one. But still, it makes me sick.   

No comments: