Thursday, November 12, 2015

Most Dreaded Task




NaBloPoMo prompt for today:
If you had a personal assistant who would do your most dreaded tasks, which items from your to-do list would you assign out?



 

I’m luckier than many people; I don’t really have most dreaded tasks.  I don’t much like grading papers, but I don’t dread it.

The only task I can come up with – and this one is not mandated-  is cleaning up the garden in the woods.
 
 

I one had it in great shape, and loved visiting it all through the year.

 
 
 



But then I got cancer, and that was seven years ago. So I have made one or two weak attempts, but have never kept up the weeding and clearing that are necessary seasonal tasks out there. As a result, the garden has returned to the chaotic jungle that it was in 2005 when I first started working on it.

 

If you go back to my earliest blog posts, you can read about that garden, which was started by Sister Jean Marie Hastings at least 40 years ago.  It’s loaded with spring blooming perennials and many other wonderful plants.

 


It’s also loaded with years of dead leaves, thickets of wild rose vines, and tangles of very healthy poison ivy.

 


I’d love a personal assistant, or a small army of them, to go out there and rake up and take away all the leaves, cut back and take out the vines, and tear out all the poison ivy, so that when Spring comes round again, the hundreds of daffodils will be available for viewing and cutting.

No comments: