Saturday, November 7, 2015

The Stable of British Actors


The Stable of British Actors

Ever since I became enamoured of the Harry Potter series and then of the films, I have noticed the actors showing up in other venues.  For example, Robert Hardy, who played Cornelius Fudge


I then recognized in :

Inspector Lewis

the Inspector Lynley Mystery: Death in Holy Orders

Midsomer Murders

Inspector Morse

All Creatures Great and Small:  Siegfried Farnum
 
Then, of course, Emma Thompson, who played Sybil Trelawney
 
also starred in
the Merchant-Ivory film  Howard's End
Sense and Sensibility
Nanny McFee
Angels in America
Wit
The Remains of the Day
and many others
 
And, of course, Maggie Smith, who played Minerva McGonagall
 
has been so wonderful in Dowton Abbey as well as

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
The First Wives' Club
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
and even Sister Act


But I'm recognizing some of the minor Potter players in many BBC mysteries, and they are the ones I refer to as the "Stable of British Actors" - versatile and wonderful character actors, such as

Lee Ingleby, who played Stan Shunpike

 
who I have recognized in :
 
the Inspector George Gently series
and as DI George Bennett in the series  "A Place of Execution"
and in  Agatha Christie's Marple
 
 
 
and Roger Lloyd-Pack, who played Barty Crouch, Sr.
 


who I have recognized in the Inspector Morse series.


I could go on, and I will, in another entry.

No comments: