Saturday, December 19, 2015

The Artist's Eye


Mario Marini  "The Miracle"





Today's prompt on The Daily Post is:  Is there a painting or sculpture you’re drawn to? What does it say to you? Describe the experience.

About forty years ago I took a course at Johns Hopkins University called “Images of Man in Modern Sculpture.”  Apologies for the lack of inclusive language, but that was 1976!   My teacher was Phoebe Stanton,the art critic for the Baltimore Sun. Our textbook was the Hirschhorn Museum in DC, as well as the Baltimore Museum of Art.

I believe it was at the Baltimore Museum of Art that I encountered the sculpture pictured above.
When I say encounter, I mean it.  I stood before it, transfixed, almost as transfixed as the human figure on the horse.

When I saw this prompt, this sculpture came to mind.

Its title is “The Miracle.”  What are they seeing, the man and the horse?

Or did the miracle happen inside me as I stood before it?


Today is also another day closer to Christmas, and here is my "O Antiphon" for today:



O seal of our yearning

glued on the long blue envelope

of sky,

Ciel of our yearning,

grey, mushy today in winter rain,

keep the ink of my prayer

from fade or blood.
 
"Blue Sky Horizon"  by Brian Graben

 

No comments: