Wednesday, April 19, 2017

What if God breaks my heart again?


painting:  Christian Schloe   The Heartache





I just read this poem by Sandra Cisneros on another poetry site, and it blew me away!



God Breaks the Heart Again and Again Until It Stays Open
               
after a quote from Sufi Inayat Khan
 
But what if my heart is a 7-Eleven after
      
its third daytime robbery in a week?

What if my heart is a piñata trashed to
      
tissue and peppermint shrapnel?

What if my heart is a peeled mango bearing
      
an emerald housefly?

What if my heart is an air conditioner
      
weeping a rosary of rusty tears?

What if my heart is Sebastião Salgado’s
      
sinkhole swallowing another child?

What if my heart is Death Valley in
      
wide-view Cinemascope?

What if my heart is a chupacabrón
      
chanting, Build the wall?

What if my heart is the creepy uncle’s
      
yawning zipper?

What if my heart is a Pentecostal babbling
      
a river of tongues?

What if my heart is the cross-eyed Jesus
      
bought at the Poteet flea market?

What if my heart is El Paso, Texas, in bed
      
with the corpse of Ciudad Juárez?

What if my heart is unhinged from the
      
weight of its lice-ridden wings?

What then for an encore, oh my soul, when
      
you have blessed me a
       hundredfold?



 

No comments: