Wednesday, April 6, 2011

National Poetry Month


I should have written six poems by now; however, the first five days were so busy that I couldn't . Now I am fighting inertia.

So I will post five poems "from before" and add a sixth one, hot off the press:

#1
Typo
One slip of the finger and
Divine becomes Diving
Deep in my dream to the floor of the flooded cellar
Through a window to the green sheen
Of chlorine depths of the swimming pool
At Lenape Park
Where I opened my eyes to stinging wonder
Of watching my white wrinkled feet
Flutter like flippers
And back to Harry Potter somersaulting into
The lake and down to the lair of the grindylow
And back to myself,
Sprinting off a cliff into Crater Lake,
Turquoise and freezing
Gritty grey crumbled lava clouding my eyes
As I plunge further, further,
To the center of breath.

#2
The Stone Dog
My father and I
Wander the Protestant cemetery
Oaklands
Examining the tombstones
And a flat stone
With a life size stone dog
A Labrador
Keeping watch
Over the bones of his owner.
I’m small enough to ride him,
And I do, while the brown leaves flag me
While my father smokes and waits.

#3

Peripheral Vision
My mother can see me this way
Seam ripper stole her center
Partly curly hair weather
Perennial Thyme
Capricious Apocrypha,
burning aura of clementines.

#4
Saving Stamps
candy for later
the cerulean warbler
money
my soul


#5

The Meaning of Radiance
Radiation still cooking my colon
Years after the machine
Delivered its killing light
Waves in defenseless air
Through the tissue in the wrong place
At the wrong time.
Light of sun distilled, forced
Through tunnels into funnels
Glowing the teeth of the smile of the
Child in Hiroshima.
The Meaning of Radiance

#6

Corot Blue

puckered with clouds,
Damask wards off rain
Father Hopkins, lick ink into my pen
shake blue over paper.

No comments: