Friday, March 15, 2013

Another sign of Spring

This is Ezra, the male redtail, sitting on the new nest on the light tower of a building on the Cornell University campus. Today his mate, BR ( Big Red, named for the mascot of Cornell) laid the first egg of what we hope will be at least three. 

Last year I watched this 24/7 live streaming Hawk cam from about this same time, and saw three eggs come to hatching, the feeding and growth of the young ones, and their fledging. It was a marvelous thing to witness.

We even have a Facebook group, we "Hawkaholics," and we have been corresponding with each other all through the fall and winter.  It's a nice community of people from all over the place.

Also...
as I was driving home yesterday afternoon, I heard my first Red-Winged Blackbird of the season.
The grounds people cut back the trees and reeds in the drainage pond terribly, and I was wondering if the birds would return. But they are back!

No comments: