Saturday, May 3, 2014

The Catbird is Back!


(photo by Russell Joseph Reynolds)


Saw him/her this afternoon at my bedroom window feeder - so glad!

I had a good morning of birding at  the Lillian Holt Park in Overlea, in Baltimore, today.


 ( trail in the woods at Holt Park)



 ( pond at Holt Park - saw a Great Blue Heron here)



 Cool and sunny -  many many birds calling, more than I could get my binoculars on.  But I did see 25 species,
among them:

Common Yellowthroat
( photo from Warbler Calls website)



Ovenbird

(photo by Sean McCandless)


Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

( photo by Jerry Oldenettle)


a pair of Red-Shouldered Hawks working together on a nest

( photo by Patrick Harwood)


and one I saw quite clearly, but couldn't identify. When I looked him up later, I think I saw a Solitary Vireo, which if very exciting!  

(Photo by Brooks Mathewson)


Gratitude for these photos -  I don't have a camera with these capabilities.

After my birding,  I went on to visit one of my Baltimore friends,  and then came back to Emmitsburg.

Tomorrow, if the weather is this delightful, I'll try a trail over at the Mount.

Still haven't seen the Rose-breasted Grosbeak...

No comments: