Friday, October 16, 2015

In the Time of Burning Trees



tree outside my window today



On this glorious October day, I was able to retrieve the words of a favorite song from my memory.
I don't have the cassette tape anymore, and can't find any recording of it online, and the little group who recorded the album has disappeared into obscurity, but I never forgot the song.  It's not as good without the music, but all the same, here it is:



The Burning Tree

 

Group:   Different Shoes      Album Title:  One Size Feets All

 

Summer has gone

And the days growing cold

Far away honk some geese in their flight.

Here down below

We start thinking of snow

And the quiet of long winter nights.

And even though times will get harder

And the darkness can make you feel old

There’s a good harvest stored in the larder

And the tree’s now arrayed here in red orange and gold.

 

Refrain:

And I run through the leaves

In the cool Autumn breeze

Feeling warmed by the fire in me.

Though it’s said they don’t talk

I still learned a lot

In the light of the burning tree.

 

 

So many times

When I’m driving, I’m blind

Thinking something  that I’ve got to be

First in the line and my teeth start to grind

Like the cobblestones down by the sea

But yesterday morning at sunrise

Where the highway dips down to the sea,

The quiet of dawn was reflected

In the leaves of a tree

That was beckoning to me.

 

( refrain)

 

Here on the ground

I heard a voice with no sound

Saying this is the reason to be:

To make your own place

In the whole human race

And to find it will set your heart free

So even though times will get harder

And the darkness will make you feel old

There’s a good harvest stored in the larder

And the music you hear in the trees is your soul.

 

(refrain)
 
 
 
Photo: Burning Tree   from miriadna.com


 

No comments: