Friday, March 8, 2019

The Sixties Changed Everything



Some character in the Peter Grainger books says this, and it is true. True in so many ways!

I have for quite a while both read and watched Inspector Morse, the brilliant and sad detective of Colin Dexter's creation.  Lately I have discovered how much I like the "prequel," not written by Dexter, but a BBC TV series about the young Morse, whose first name turns out to be Endeavour.

The two actors who play Morse in his 1960's days and in his 1980's or 90's days are excellent.

 
In my mind, I always put Morse back in the 30's or 40's , but the clothing in "Endeavour" reminds me,brings me up short in fact,  that it is set in Oxford in the 1960"s.
 
 
 
 
The same goes for Midsomer Murders.
 
 
  In many episodes,  the misdeeds of characters from their youth in the Sixties end up resulting in murders in the Nineties.
 
The Oblong Murders is one.
 
Death in the Slow Lane  is another
 
Dark Secrets is another
 
 
 
 
 
Right now, I am listening to the audiobooks of Peter Grainger's really wonderful Sgt. Smith police procedurals.  They are set in the Norfolk area of England, and are even better character studies than plot grabbers.  The dialogue is witty and understated.   But again, they are set in the present time but often harken back to bad behavior in the Sixties, Here are the eight books in the series:
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
These are so good!  If the library didn't have one, I bought it on Audible.
 
These are books I want to listen to more than once.
 
But that statement that the Sixties changed everything:  so much.  Often for the good, but also often for the bad.  So many repercussions none of us could have imagined.
 
This is long enough.  Maybe I'll return to that topic in another entry.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: