Friday, December 18, 2020

Snow in Emmitsburg


 We got 10 inches on Wednesday.  I tried to take some photos, but it was so cold and the wind was fierce.

The other photos are ones I took last evening, at twilight.


Here's a poem from Jeff Hardin that really stays with me:


ACCUMULATIONS     by Jeff Hardin

 

Arriving too late, too mindful or not enough,

I’ve never been present in the present tense.

Like the soul’s breath, if it exists, it drifts

out of view. How many echoes emerge from

one echo, each in turn adding to the sum?

Maybe nothing is ever subtracted—we carry

these accumulations. A shiver of willow leaves

accelerates through its shadows, an endlessness

of infinities the sun’s presence intensifies, lightens,

erases momentarily, then reinvents somewhere

farther along the grass. I am someone other

than the someone other I might have become

had I remained who I was a moment before.

The fullness I find is still a version of emptiness.

I carry it with me everywhere, remaining nowhere.

 











No comments: