Saturday, April 3, 2021

Get Used to Different

 

It's Holy Saturday, somehow appropriate that I speak of my experience of watching this show.

Recently I finished watching the 8 episodes of "The Chosen"  Season One.

I wasn't thrilled with the first episode, but each following episode hooked me even more.

What I believe as a Catholic, particularly the Incarnation, was not contradicted.  The stories from the New Testament are told with a lot of creative backstory, which I actually liked.

One of my favorite scenes was the conversation between Jesus and Nicodemus.  I've read that passage many times, but this dramatization really brought it to life.


I also loved that the Apostles were all young men - which, given the average life span at that time, was probably true.

But I have been especially captivated by the portrayal of Jesus.  As it says in the Gospel, he speaks with authority,  and heals, and clearly has a divine nature. But he's also down to earth: a little scruffy, witty, and warm.

The actor who portrays him is a devout Catholic, which I didn't know when I watched the series.

He has a wonderful face.  I am sure the real Jesus has a wonderful face.



No comments: