Thursday, November 17, 2022

The Dances you've already had


 

Lately I've been remembering the dances I've already had - the romantic ones with boys/men a long time ago.  I now know that at least three of those boys/men have passed on. That's something else I've considered:  the synonyms for "died":   passed on,  passed away,  etc.  One of my sisters always says

"Gone to God."   The dogs and cats who have "crossed the Rainbow Bridge"  

I still have the image in my head from when my dad died. I visited him on a Wednesday, and on the following Friday I was at a meeting in Buffalo and got a call from the nursing home that he had died in his sleep in the middle of the afternoon.  I envisioned him on a small boat, moving away from the shore of the living on the sea of eternity, quietly moving on, his face toward the horizon.


art by D.D. McInnis


and this poem, from Joy Harjo:

REMEMBER

Remember the sky that you were born under,

know each of the star’s stories.

Remember the moon, know who she is.

Remember the sun’s birth at dawn, that is the

strongest point of time. Remember sundown

and the giving away tonight.

Remember your birth, how your mother struggled

to give you form and breath. You are evidence of

her life, and her mother’s, and hers.

Remember your father. He is your life, also.

Remember the earth whose skin you are:

red earth, black earth, yellow earth, white earth

brown earth, we are earth.

Remember the plants, trees, animal life who all have their

tribes, their families, their histories, too. Talk to them,

listen to them. They are alive poems.

Remember the wind. Remember her voice. She knows the

origin of this universe.

Remember you are all people and all people

are you.

Remember you are this universe and this

universe is you.

Remember all is in motion, is growing, is you.

Remember language comes from this.

Remember the dance language is, that life is.

Remember.



by Joy Harjo *(Muscogee/Creek Nation, 3rd term US Poet Laureate).

 


No comments: