Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Fifth Day of Christmas

Here's another favorite cookie recipe.  It comes from my mother via her lifelong friend Molly Stauffer Johnson  ( both of them departed now).  It's probably 100 years old or older, from the Pennsylvania Dutch country:


Date Walnut Cookies



1 cup brown sugar

2/3 cup butter

2 eggs

½ tsp baking powder

1 tbsp vinegar

2 cups sifted flour

½ tsp salt

½ tsp baking soda

1 lb. Pitted dates

1 cup black walnuts chopped

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs. Mix well.

Add soda and vinegar.



Sift flour, baking powder, salt. Add to the wet mixture.

Add dates and nuts.



Drop on greased cookie sheet.



Bake 325 10-12 min.




Really good.  Welcome at any season, but especially during the winter.




This morning I sent my application to the MacDowell Colony , to see if I can spend two weeks there this summer, writing poetry.   Wish me luck!


Another favorite Christmas card:

No comments: