Friday, March 6, 2020

Planning the plantings

here is a photo of the courtyard garden from July 7, 2019

The areas around the center circle are the ones I have been working on since 2015.  Each year I plant more perennials to attract pollinators.

This year, the "grounds guys" removed half of those "knockout roses", so there is now space for perennials in those areas, too.  I'll have to take a photo on July 7 of 2020.

Over the winter, as I have yearned for flowers,  I ordered the following plants and bulbs:

Anise Hyssop

Germander

Betony

Joe Pye Weed

Blue Hill Meadow Sage

 5 tuberose bulbs

9 Dahlia bulbs

20 Gladiolus bulbs

Everything but the Glads will go in the spaces in that garden around the center circle.  The Dahlias in particular are great for people to pick for bouquets.

The plants will come around the end of April;  I can plant the bulbs earlier.  But all must wait until the danger of frost passes, which around here is about May 10.



No comments: