Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Election Day

 




One headline titled us "The United Hates of America."  How tragic is that?  How close to the truth!  

Gene Weingarten, in a piece in the Sunday Washington Post Magazine, talked about that. One of the things he said that really hit me was:

( about Trump): 

"Mostly, I cannot forgive him for what he has taken from me, personally. … What h has taken from me are two things: First, my genuine lifelong feeling that the United States, for all its weaknesses and failures, deserves, and has always deserved, the benefit of the doubt.  Second:  I find myself profoundly disliking and disrespecting almost half of my countrymen and women – that is, the group of Americans that support Trump.  I have never felt such antipathy before, even in other sharply polarizing times, and it feels absolutely terrible. 

…What is hard to understand – almost impossible to understand – is the way the Trump presidency has divided seemingly like-minded people of goodwill: friends, relatives, neighbors, professional colleagues – people of similar backgrounds and who theoretically should align politically, but don’t. And who have a hard time feeling anything but contempt for the other."


I am praying that Joe Biden wins the election, and that the Democrats take the Senate.  Many of my cousins and my high school - and college- classmates - are praying for the exact opposite.

Time will tell.






No comments: