Saturday, June 12, 2021

I had the Bell Telephone Company find him for me

 


The title for this entry is a sentence in Kurt Vonnegut's novel Slaughterhouse Five, which I teach in the Modernity class.

It reminds me of myself in these recent years... actually, during the last twenty years.

Technology has developed so that no one needs to call the operator at the Bell Telephone Company to find the address and phone number of long lost friends and lovers.  Now we have Google, and Facebook, among other resources.

So, late at night, I find myself searching for friends and connections I haven't had in decades. Lately I've been searching for Maureen McCauley, a high school friend who changed schools - from Bishop Shanahan to Cardinal O'Hara -  when the latter school opened close to her house in Newtown Square, Pennsylvania.  I think I've found her -  she's an attorney in New York State -  but I haven't actually called her.  Yet.  That's just one.

Facebook has enabled many more connections.

Some - old sweethearts-   have even emailed me because they saw my name on Google. After fifty years.

It must be our advancing age that impels us to seek these connections.  Especially since many of the older generation -  the eighty and ninety somethings-  and of course, the parents of our friends,  have passed through the veil.

More on this, I hope.   






No comments: