Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Sacre Coeur, Paris

 


On this day in 1976, I was in Paris with a foreign study group. It's the feast of Saint Lawrence. I went to Mass at the Basilica of Sacre Coeur.  Heard the responsorial psalm "Je t'aime qui donne avec joie."  I love those who give with joy.  I wrote this poem:

Sacre Coeur, Paris

 

 

In the Metro,

I could not feel the rain.

Emerging as from sleep

at the other end of Paris,

where the rain just stopped,

you were waiting,

waiting for me

on top of the highest hill.

 

Heart pounding speed

into my legs,

I climbed a million steps

to meet you.

 

Tired hitchhikers

sang beside your door.

Rain wet city

glistened at sunset,

stretched before your face.

You called stories out of our hands,

gifts out of our eyes.

You never closed for the night.

 

The stars rose down

on your round white crown

like halo,

like Bethlehem.

 


No comments: