Sunday, August 29, 2021

Tolle Lege

 



On the feast of Saint Augustine,  I've decided to post excerpts from my long poem Pick It Up and Read,which was published as a chapbook by Finishing Line Press in 2008.  I am posting the pieces that related particularly to Augustine, and then spin off into something more personal.


Pick it up and read,

 

sang the child's voice beyond the wall.

The first word was SAID.

Three children -

a boy and two girls,

played with a dog and a cat.

White children with brown hair

whose plain names excited me

to hear in the air from my own mouth.

 

I had trouble telling

through from thought,

though from thorough.

 

My father picked me up at school.

We walked by the statue of Saint Agnes,

through the cement arch

from schoolyard to street.

I thought about knowing how to read SAID

though, by itself, it was lying alone in a corner,

but put it behind someone,

and it opens its mouth to a thorough coverage

of the news of the day.

Pick it up and Read  (II)

 

 

 

You hated that your

father saw your teenaged body

in the bathhouse,

bleated greedily about

grandchildren.

 

Even then, your joy was not in the pears, their taste,

the juice running down your neck,

not in the picking,

but in the stealing,

the stealing,

then, the thought of stealing.

 

Pick it up and read

Pick it up and read,

sang the child's voice beyond the wall.

 

Don't leave that garden

until you remember

those tears from your body.

 

The stirrings stayed

never left you

haunted you with dreams

of sweaty couplings,

 ragged cries of delight.

 

  

Pick it up and read ( III)

 

 

In October, I thought the paper lied

about Nickel Mines and the one room school

where the milkman

lined up ten Amish girls

in front of the  classroom

and shot blood and brains

on the blackboard.

My red-haired cousin, eight years old,

the one with garden genes like me,

the one who shared a grandfather,

fell still alive, though,

a bullet through her jaw.

 

Pick it up and read,

sang the child's voice beyond the wall.

 

 

 

Augustine and his mother, Monica

 

 

 


 

 


No comments: