Monday, September 27, 2021

Feast of Saint Vincent de Paul

 

I love this imaginative drawing of Vincent at the Table of Plenty


One of the things he said:

"There are some persons who are content with everything and others who are scarcely content with anything. These latter need patience to bear with themselves." words of wisdom from St. Vincent de Paul.


But I especially love this, which I consider to be an icon, of Vincent and the Beggar Christ.


Here's a poem I wrote about forty years ago:



Vincent de Paul

 

 

Wine and hundredfold

my father’s name,

eating old food,

walking,

the man sleeping in the corner

by your house

smells like death,

but you wake him.

The streets reek,

the crowds press,

all the passages are interdict,

but you walk through them.

Your hands are grimy,

You have slept in your clothes,

You have never tasted ice.

Wine and hundredfold,

my father’s name.

 

 


 

No comments: