Wednesday, September 8, 2021

I am interested in shadows moving across our courtyard.


view from upstairs in September 2017.  I didn't record the time I took this photo, but most of the courtyard is in full sun.

overhead view on March 29 2020... Star Magnolias blooming... cloudy day, no shadows to compare



 Need to take some photos of those movements .

I noticed this morning that at 7Am the courtyard is still in full shadow.  I remember that last June

the sunlight had already reached the inner ground on the western side.  Of course it's the world turning, not the sun.  But still...

I don't have as much time in the early morning or at the golden hour to work in the garden,  clearing up the spent stalks.


Poets are snobby about the work of Helen Hunt Jackson, but I think she wrote some lovely and evocative poems.  Here is one of them:

 

"The golden-rod is yellow;

The corn is turning brown;

The trees in apple orchards

With fruit are bending down.

 

The gentian's bluest fringes

Are curling in the sun;

In dusty pods the milkweed

Its hidden silk has spun.

 

The sedges flaunt their harvest,

In every meadow nook;

And asters by the brook-side

Make asters in the brook,

 

From dewy lanes at morning

The grapes' sweet odors rise;

At noon the roads all flutter

With yellow butterflies.

 

 By all these lovely tokens

 September days are here,

 With summer's best of weather,

 And autumn's best of cheer.

 

 But none of all this beauty

 Which floods the earth and air

 Is unto me the secret

 Which makes September fair.

 

T'is a thing which I remember;

To name it thrills me yet:

One day of one September

I never can forget."

-  Helen Hunt Jackson, September  

 

 


No comments: