Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Don't tell me there is no mystery

 

I don't remember where I saw this photo, but this door knob fascinates me.

Lately I've been confronted with two other people whose way of thinking is so different from mine that I am flummoxed by it.  I am a big introvert , and have interacted with many extroverts, but even so, these two are really amazing to me.

I have come to realize that I have a different way of thinking, too, and have had for my whole life. I've led a privileged life; have never feared for the necessities of life. I've always known that I matter to some people.  Enough people. I've come to the conclusion that I am what is called a "covert narcissist" --- "arrogant, self-involved, hypersensitive to criticism" and , as some writer has described, "It's hard to form long-lasting relationships if your go-to move is to withdraw from people when angry." I recently read an article , "Self-awareness and self-acceptance in Narcissism" by Sam Vaknin, that described me to myself in ways that no other writer has.  My sense of being an actor and playing a part has been with me since childhood-- being at least one step removed from the immediacy of myself.  I am so removed from myself that it doesn't even scare me.

The two women whose way of thinking so flummoxed me are the opposite: they are both extremely self-aware and self-analytical, replaying conversations in their heads all the time. I only know that because they have spoken about it.

I guess the picture of the hand and the door knob somehow illustrate that mystery to me.

I can't say any more at this time because my mind gets muddled.


Artist:  Afeifa Alaby   




No comments: