Thursday, October 25, 2018

He is Not My President

This cartoon by Barry Blitt certainly expressed my feelings in November of 2016. It still does.
 
I did not vote for Donald Trump.  I voted for Hilary, even though I didn’t like her much.
I was depressed when Trump won, but I thought:  well, he knows nothing about running a government, so probably the Congress will tell him what to do, and he will be just a figurehead.
I was so wrong.
He is running Congress , with that Republican majority. And all those Republicans who scorned him are now kissing his a_ _.  The latest is Lyndsay Graham, who has done a complete turnaround.  His friend John McCain must be turning over in his grave.
Trump has been supposedly campaigning for Republican candidates all across the country. Really , it seems to me that all his rallies are ways to get his own ego stroked.  And since his win with the confirmation of Kavanaugh for the Supreme Court, he has become even more arrogant. Since that win, his rhetoric has become more overtly hate-filled; he incites his “base” to violence. And now someone of his followers has mailed pipe bombs to ten of his political opponents.  And Trump says it’s not his fault!
He is using taxpayer money to fund his flights around the country to stir up hatred and violence.  I think someone  ( Congress? ) should stop him from holding these rallies. But who has the authority, now that the system of checks and balances has been so damaged?
I find myself waking up in the middle of night worrying about our country.
When I was in Paris last March, one day I took a train trip to Rouen.  My shabby French was failing me, and I got a Frenchman, one of the train mechanics, to lead me to the correct gate.  On the way to the gate, we had a conversation in a French so elementary that I could understand and respond.  He asked me what I thought of our (America’s) present president.  I said, “Il n’est pas ma president!” 
That still holds.
 

No comments: