Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Morning's back already broken

 





Here's a poem that expresses my feelings today,  as I await the results of the Georgia runoff election ( will we have a Democratic majority in the US Senate or not?)  and the Electoral College affirmation in Congress on Wednesday:


January

I have begun the purge.
Month of hunger,
raindrops fall
from window sills, ice
slithers in puddles,
the smoky breath of animals
greets the air. Morning’s back
already broken, veins
obvious on everything.
Emptying myself
of all things ripe
and wanton, I am winter grass.
Observe me survive
as earth’s shoulder blades
that jut, cut up the sky
that pushes down on all of us
as if it wants to die.
See, I am transparent
as sunrise.
Starving, I count
my bones as valuable.


photo by Delia Hills




No comments: