Sunday, January 29, 2023

Garden Dreams

 

I hope to have a sign like this in my garden.



Now that classes are back in session,  I am sliding into procrastination on this blog.  Once again, I give promises to improve my contributions.

It seems that these late January days, mostly rainy and grey here, are inviting me to think about the garden.   It's also because several of my sisters are working on improving our community's commitment to Laudato Si,  Pope Francis'  letter about the environment, our "Common Home." Also, I have been reading Doug Tallamy's book Bringing Nature Home, and watching his talks on You Tube.  He's a big proponent of the shrinking of the American Lawn, among other things.

So in the last few days I have been thinking about replacing one patch of my large courtyard garden ( it's not really mine alone --- but I am its steward right now.)   with native plants which are butterfly host plants.

I've been writing about this garden since about 2015, when I started working on it.  The garden has been there since the building was built in 1964. Back then, it was mostly rose bushes.  Then, in later years, it was filled with pachysandra ground cover and annual flowers.  Then, the garden guy who was the Attila the Hun of grounds keepers,  pulled all that out and spread mulch everywhere, except for the "Knockout Roses" he planted in the center beds.  The sisters complained that his favorite colors were brown and green!


Summer, 2014




Summer, 2022


October 2014   



July 2022


I could go on for pages with the before and after photos, but I am searching for the photos of the Cherry bells, and how they have taken over.

Hopefully, will return to this post.



No comments: