Monday, October 25, 2021

Blue poured into summer blue

 




The last hurrah of my garden:

October 20  New England Aster

October 22    Tuberoses and Dahlias


October 22   Aromatic Aster


Actually, we still don't have a killing frost in the forecast for the next week.  But it's coming.


"There comes a time when it cannot be put off any longer.  The radio warns of a killing frost coming
in the night, and you must say good-by to the garden.  You dread it, as you dread saying good-by
to any good friend; but the garden waits with its last gifts, and you must go with a bushel basket
or big buckets to receive them."



-   Rachel Peden

 


 Another October poem I love:


End of Summer


"An agitation of the air,

A perturbation of the light

Admonished me the unloved year

Would turn on its hinge that night.

 

I stood in the disenchanted field

Amid the stubble and the stones

Amaded, while a small worm lisped to me

The song of my marrow-bones.

 

Blue poured into summer blue,

A hawk broke from his cloudless tower,

The roof of the silo blazed, and I knew

That part of my life was forever over.

 

Already the iron door of the North

Clangs open: birds,leaves,snows

Order their populations forth,

And a cruel wind blows."



-   Stanley Kunitz, End of Summer



and this one:


"the air is different today

the wind sings with a new tone

sighing of changes

coming

the harvest gathered

a flower, a nut

some mead, and bread

a candle and a prayer

returning the fruits

in thanksgiving

to the grove

and receiving

it's blessing

again"

-   Rhawk, Alban Elfed


and this one:

 

"Today I walked on the lion-coloured hills

with only cypresses for company,

until the sunset caught me, turned the brush

to copper

set the clouds

to one great roof of flame

above the earth,

so that I walk through fire, beneath fire,

and all in beauty.

Being alone

I could not be alone, but felt

(closer than flesh) the presence of those

who once had burned in such transfigurations.

My happiness ran through the centuries

in one continual brightness.  Looking down,

I saw the earth beneath me like a rose

petaled with mountains,

fragrant with deep peace."



-  Elizabeth Coatsworth, On the Hills, 1924

 

 

from  West Chester Views  on Facebook.  unknown photographer




 

 

 


No comments: