Tuesday, October 26, 2021

It's always evening in an occupied country

 


The October wind grows colder and stronger.   I love this poem by Dylan Thomas:


"Especially when the October wind
With frosty fingers punishes my hair,
Caught by the crabbing sun I walk on fire
And cast a shadow crab upon the land,
By the sea's side, hearing the noise of birds,
Hearing the raven cough in winter sticks,
My busy heart who shudders as she talks
Sheds the syllabic blood and drains her words."



-  Dylan Thomas, Especially When the October Wind  



 




As Halloween approaches, I re-read and ponder this poem by Charles Simic:


"On the first page of my dreambook
It's always evening
In an occupied country.
Hour before the curfew.
A small provincial city.
The houses all dark.
The store-fronts gutted.

I am on a street corner
Where I shouldn't be.
Alone and coatless
I have gone out to look
For a black dog who answers to my whistle.
I have a kind of halloween mask
Which I am afraid to put on."



-   Charles Simic, Empire of Dreams  

 

 

 


No comments: