Saturday, November 6, 2021

On this day in 2016

 

In 2016, this house was the home of the West Chester University Poetry Center.


I'm not going into the long and sad story of the decline of the WCU Poetry Conference, which I had attended for about seven Junes from 2001-2016.  But in 2016, Sam Gwynn was the director, and he invited me to be the reader at their Poetry Salon, on November 6, 2016.

I wish I had a photo of this lovely event, but I don't .  Here's one of me in another conference, another year:


Anyway,  the poetry salon took place on a brilliant sunny Sunday in 2016.  I , however, was coming down with a very nasty upper respiratory infection.  I stayed over until Monday afternoon, and then drove back to Emmitsburg on Route 30, through all the little towns.

I had a car crash on the way home, which was my fault.  I rear-ended a pickup truck , which was stopped suddenly because the car in front of it had stopped to make a left turn, and i wasn't paying enough attention.   I was ok, but I totalled the car.

It was a bad omen for the next day, which was the day Donald Trump was elected president.



It wasn't funny for four years, and continues to not be funny.



No comments: