Sunday, December 25, 2022

I never asked Mom and Dad about their childhood Christmases

 

Here I am with my cousin Dick Higgins in about 1951.


It came to me this year that I never once asked Mom and Dad about their childhood Christmases.

What were they like, in 1920, in Gap Pennsylvania, when Fannie and David Kauffman were both alive, and my 5 year old mother had a 7 year old brother Lee and a 3 year old brother Dan? Where did they live?  Did they have a tree?

What were they like in 1920 in Morstien Pennsylvania, for my 6 year old father, his mother Margaret and his father Thomas, and his older brothers and sisters Sara, Mary, Julia, Tom, and Jack?  Was Joe born yet?  How was it on that little farm?  

I can't even imagine.  I grieve now that they never talked about their childhood Christmases.

So many things I never asked,  too self-absorbed.



No comments: