Monday, April 6, 2015

Dream During Chemo

National Poetry Month, Day 6



Bad Dreams

Last night I had a long bad dream.  It seemed to go on so long, even included my telling myself it was all a dream and waking up and finding myself still in the dream setting, still dreaming.  I was so relieved, and even tired, when I finally woke up!

It wasn't actually a nightmare.  I dreamed I had been transferred to teach in a middle school in Petersburg Virginia, a place where I did actually teach about 30 years ago. But in this dream I was being transferred overnight, wrenched out of my job/life at the Mount, and plopped back down in Petersburg in my present age. Whew.

I'm not having much luck with poetry writing today, so I decided to post a draft of one about another dream, one I had six years ago, while undergoing chemotherapy. I definitely had what they call "Chemo Brain." 


Dream during Chemo

In the chapel in the summer night

Father Jim. lots of students

Light by candles

Darkness – night bugs caught in my hair

Joanne Cahoon and the story of the monk

Flashlight

Mary Ann Bozel

Door-deduction-

When you clean your room you look to what is not yours

The darkness and the candles

End of dream :

Leaving after Mass

Students waiting outside

Someone sells me

A world’s finest chocolate bar.

Was this the same dream

Where the church was open to the night sky

With only a wrought iron grillwork roof, all lattice and open,

And the windows too, almost like a screened in porch, but

It was a high ceilinged, peaked beamed roof…

Buzzing in the heat of the summer night….


 

 

No comments: