Wednesday, January 9, 2019

On the Cusp of Change



I have decided to undergo the surgery that will repair my radiation damaged guts.
It might not  work.  The surgeon won't know ,until he gets inside, whether that friable radiated tissue will hold stitches.  I'm hoping.  I'm also considering that this might change my life, and not for the better.

In any case, it will be a long recovery. So I backed out of teaching this semester.  I hope to return to teaching in the Fall, but in the meantime, months stretch ahead full of mystery.

I have begun to re-read Mary Catherine Bateson's wonderful book  Composing a Life. I'm reading it in order to join in a discussion of it with several other women of about my age. Several of them are wives of  colleagues, women I thoroughly like.  I read this book about twenty years ago , but I remember almost nothing about it.  Maybe this time , more will stay with me. It's about how women of this age have lived lives of improvisation and creation even in the midst of stable situations.

I will try to write more of my thoughts down as I go.




art:  Yuko Hosaka

No comments: