Monday, December 14, 2015

In the Bleak Midwinter


"In the Bleak Midwinter " by Becca Merry



Today's poem from the Advent Literary Calendar ( BookRiot) is "In the Bleak Midwinter" by Christina Rosetti:


 

 

 

In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan,

 

Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;

 

Snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow,

 

In the bleak midwinter, long ago.

 

 

Our God, Heaven cannot hold Him, nor earth sustain;

 

Heaven and earth shall flee away when He comes to reign.

 

In the bleak midwinter a stable place sufficed

 

The Lord God Almighty, Jesus Christ.

 

 

Enough for Him, whom cherubim, worship night and day,

 

Breastful of milk, and a mangerful of hay;

 

Enough for Him, whom angels fall before,

 

The ox and ass and camel which adore.

 

 

Angels and archangels may have gathered there,

 

Cherubim and seraphim thronged the air;

 

But His mother only, in her maiden bliss,

 

Worshipped the beloved with a kiss.

 

 

What can I give Him, poor as I am?

 

If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;

 

If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;

 

Yet what I can I give Him: give my heart.
 
 
 
Quilt by Ruth Power:   "In the Bleak Midwinter"
 
 
 
 
Print by Rebecca Thorne:  "In the Bleak Midwinter"

No comments: