Monday, October 21, 2019

On the crazy variety of my present reading


My Modernity in Literature class is currently reading  Slaughterhouse Five  by Kurt Vonnegut.

I loved this book when I read it fifty years ago.  Today I am reading it for the fourth or fifth time, for this class, and I understand it on so many deeper levels than I did at 21. 






I am reading Beloved by Toni Morrison  for a women's book discussion group to which I belong, in Gettysburg.  First reading for me,  and it is very slow going.  It's revelatory and gut-wrenching, and beautifully written.


Then, on the recommendation of an old teacher/friend, I am slogging my way through the Mueller Report.  I knew much of it  ( as much as I have read, which isn't even halfway) from other readings and editorials and the redoubtable Rachel Maddow, but reading it pulls out some facts and stun me.





 and then, there's Volume 4 of the Voyager ESL series - Reading and Writing for Today's Adults.
I am working through this with B,  down at the Frederick Literacy Center.  We've been at it for more than a year, and she is very faithful and bright.  She also works full time in Housekeeping at one of the local hotels, so her time is limited.  I love working with her.



More on all of these later.  Must go.



No comments: